Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Return of Mayweather vs Marquez


Mayweather has confirmed he will return to the ring against Marquez. The two will meet on July 18 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, where tickets are scheduled to go on sale on Friday. They'll fight at a catch-weight of about 143 pounds (65 kilograms), eight (3 1/2) more than Marquez has ever fought and the lightest that Mayweather has been since 2005.

Mayweather'Pretty Boy' retired with an unbeaten 39-0 record after beating Ricky Hatton in 10 brutal rounds at the MGM Arena in December 2007, turning his back on the sport and handing in the mantle of 'best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet'.

However, at just 32 the five-weight world champion clearly feels there is plenty of fight left in him and even more money to be made at the box office.

"When I made my decision to retire last year, I felt like it was time for me to go as I had been boxing my whole life and felt like I had done all that I could do," he said.

"But after I had time to rest, enjoy life with my family and friends, I started to miss the competition and my fans. I am ready to return to boxing and give people another dose of the Mayweather experience."

Victory for Marquez could set him on course for a third fight with Pacquiao with the duo already having fought two thunderous contests - the first a draw with the second going to the Filipino by split decision.

"I retired from the sport, but it was as if I had never made an announcement," said Mayweather. "Fighters were constantly calling me out and fans would stop me all the time and ask me to make a return.

"It feels good to be back and trust me, I will deliver the same electrifying performances I always have throughout my career.

"I am not wasting any time with a tune-up fight. I'm going straight to the top. Marquez called me out immediately after his victory over Juan Diaz in February and now he gets his wish.

"What he is going to find out is that you should be very careful what you wish for."

In order for the fight to be made a weight limit of 143lb has been set - halfway between the welterweight and light-welterweight divisions.

With Hatton taking on Pacquiao in the early hours of Sunday morning, it will be no surprise if the winner gets a shot at Mayweather or Marquez later this year.

0 comments: